- Parks & Recreation
- Annual Events
Swissvale’s Annual Community Days have transformed into a one-day Fall Festival! Residents can expect many of the same things that they love about Community Days like food, live music and fireworks, as well as some new surprises! The festivities continue into the evening with activities, music, vendors and fireworks at Les Getz Memorial Park.
Saturday before Halloween, Noon
Participants meet at 11:45 a.m. on Roslyn Street at Woodstock Ave. The Woodland Hills High School Marching Band and Visual Images lead the parade through the business district ending on Schoyer Avenue. There are treats for all the ghosts and ghouls who marched.
Everyone is invited to show their support by lining the streets and cheering on the children as they show off their costumes!
October 31st, 6 pm - 8 pm.
Halloween Safety Tips
Helpful tips from the National Safety Council.
- All costumes, wigs and accessories should be fire-resistant
- If children are out after dark, fasten reflective tape to their costumes and bags, or give them glow sticks
- Opt for nontoxic Halloween makeup over masks, which can obscure vision; always test makeup in a small area first to see if any irritation develops
- Remove makeup before children go to bed to prevent skin and eye irritation
When They're on the Prowl
Keep these tips in mind when your children are out on Halloween night:
- A responsible adult should accompany young children on the neighborhood rounds
- If older children are going alone, plan an acceptable route and agree on a specific time they should return home
- Instruct children to travel only in familiar, well-lit areas and stick with their friends
- Tell your children not to eat any treats until they return home, and take care to avoid any food allergies
- Children and adults are reminded to put electronic devices down, keep heads up and walk, don't run, across the street
- Always cross at marked intersections with painted crosswalks and avoid walking in the street whenever possible.
- Teach children never to enter a stranger's home or car
Safety Tips for Motorists
- Watch for children walking on roadways, medians and curbs
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys carefully
- At twilight and in the evening, watch out for children in dark clothing
- Discourage new, inexperienced drivers from driving on Halloween