Allegheny Police Academy Sponsorship
Sponsorship Available to Allegheny County Police Academy
The Swissvale Police Department is now offering sponsorships for current residents to attend the Allegheny County Police Academy as a cadet. Upon successful graduation from the Academy, the cadet’s tuition ($5,000) will be paid for by the Swissvale Police Department with the agreement that the cadet will be employed in the department as a part-time police officer for a minimum of one year after passing the state licensing exam. The cadet will be able to continue their education and training as an officer while participating in the field training program.
Applicants must meet all of the following requirements, as mandated by the Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission (MPOETC) and the Allegheny County Police Training Academy:
- Provide proof of U.S. citizenship.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a high school diploma or GED equivalency and produce an official transcript.
- Pass a basic physical exam, including a drug test urinalysis, performed by your doctor, certified nurse practitioner, or physician’s assistant.
- Successfully complete a physical abilities test, in the 30th percentile, based on age and gender.
- Have a valid Pennsylvania driver's license, as verified by PENNDOT.
- Have no criminal convictions for misdemeanor 2 or higher offenses, as verified by PA State Police check and a FBI criminal history check. Also, candidates must be probation free.
- Pass a Minnesota Multi-phasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), conducted by a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist and complete the Nelson-Denny Reading Exam.
- Pay a non-refundable application fee of $50.00, in the form of a certified check made payable to 'Treasurer of Allegheny County' (this becomes part of your tuition).
- Approximately 4 to 6 weeks prior to the first day of class you will be scheduled for a physical ability test and interview at the Academy.
Interested applicants must first complete the Swissvale Police Application to be considered.