Schools & Education
Woodland Hills School District
Swissvale is part of the Woodland Hills School District (WHSD) which serves over 3,800 students in kindergarten through 12th grade from 12 municipalities in eastern Allegheny County. WHSD believes its strength resides in the diversity of those communities. Students are the district's first priority. Each student receives an excellent educational experience that is driven by the highest expectations and prepares students for meaningful participation in all facets of society.
There are many great things to be said about WHSD, but here are just a few:
- Award-winning high school: U.S. News and World Report Bronze Winner.
- Award-winning musicals, band, art shows: Woodland Hills High School musicals have received the prestigious Gene Kelly Award 97 times (including eight for Best Musical) and was nominated an amazing 188 times.
- Robust athletic program with premier facilities: The football team has been ranked nationally, and its stadium - the Wolverina - has been named one of the top 10 places to watch a high school football game in the United States by both USA Today and ESPN.com.
Come join Woodland Hills School District and be a part of the Wolverine Nation!
Elementary STEAM Academies
Three elementary schools serve the Woodland Hills community - Edgewood, Turtle Creek and Wilkins. Families may choose which of the three local schools best suits their unique needs. Each building housing kindergarten through 5th grade. A full-day Pre-K program is also available.
Dickson Preparatory STEAM Academy
The Dickson Preparatory STEAM Academy was completely renovated in 2020. The school houses students in 6th-8th grades from the entire district and is located in Swissvale. This limited population allows for greater focus on student development. Classes emphasize STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) and students have the benefit of brand new "Maker Spaces" where they can experience hands-on learning.
Charters, Private & Parochial Schools
Families in Swissvale can also take advantage of many school choices in the immediate vicinity. Some of the educational options include:
- Environmental Charter School
- Propel Schools (various campuses)
- Shady Side Academy
- Winchester Thurston School
- Central Catholic
- East Catholic School
- Oakland Catholic
- Pittsburgh Urban Christian School (PUCS)
- Trinity Christian School
School Bus Safety Reminder
School buses are everywhere. Remember to reduce your speed to 15 miles per hour in school zones during arrival and dismissal times.
If a school bus has its lights flashing and stop arm extended, you must stop. The only exception is if you are on the opposite side of a highway divided by a concrete barrier or grassy median.
If you are following or traveling alongside a school bus, the law also requires you to stop at least 10 feet away. Learn more about the school bus stopping law and penalties for violations at Drive Save PA website.