The Borough of Swissvale is 1.3 square miles nestled on the eastern border of the City of Pittsburgh within Allegheny County. Surrounding communities include Edgewood, Braddock Hills, North Braddock and Rankin Boroughs. Located in the historic "Steel Valley" along the Monongahela River, the community is urban in nature and is comprised of residential, commercial and industrial occupancies with a current population of just under 9,000 residents.
Swissvale's convenient access to I-376, Braddock Avenue, and multiple bus routes places it just minutes away from numerous business and leisure destinations:
- Downtown Pittsburgh: including the Cultural District, Heinz Field, PNC Park and much more
- Pittsburgh's many colleges and universities: Including The University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University, Carlow, Chatham, Duquesne, Point Park University, The Art Institute and others
- Kennywood Amusement Park
- The Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium
- Frick Park: Including miles of hiking and biking trails, playgrounds, dog parks and more
- Homestead: Including The Waterfront and Sandcastle
- Countless other recreational and cultural opportunities
Other Benefits of Living in Swissvale
- Direct access to two stations of the Martin Luther King Jr. East busway.
- The award winning Swissvale Farmer's Market offers local fresh produce, baked goods, prepared foods and crafts May through October.
- "Walkable" neighborhoods within walking distance of groceries, bakeries, drug stores, cleaners, tailors, jewelers, doctors, dentists, lawyers, restaurants and bars.
- The Carnegie free library of Swissvale has activities throughout the year from summer reading for kids and adults, computer tutorials, book clubs, and Legos and Robots courses.
- The Les Getz memorial park provides an outlet for recreation including baseball fields, tennis courts, basketball courts and a playground.
- Many churches and faith communities representing various backgrounds and denominations.
- The Swissvale Fire Department, made up of both paid and volunteer members, has one of the fastest average response times in Southwest Pennsylvania at 4 minutes. They are also one of only five departments to have 100% certified firefighters. The Public Protection Classification (PPC) program has recognized the Swissvale Fire Department's excellence as an ISO PPC "Class 3" community.