Garbage and Recycling operate on a delayed schedule when holidays fall during the week. Collection will occur one day after the regularly scheduled pick up.
Garbage collection is performed by the Swissvale Department of Public Works. Please contact Public Works with any questions. For a full garbage collection schedule by street, please visit the Garbage and Recycling page.
Recycling is collected weekly following your Garbage Pickup Schedule. Items we recycle in Swissvale include: all grades of paper, steel and aluminum cans, number 1 through number 5 and number 7 plastics, cardboard, and all colors of glass. Bins can be picked up at the Borough Building and are free for residents. Information on what materials can be recycled can be found on the Garbage and Recycling page.
As of January 1, 2020, recycling cannot be picked up if it is in a plastic bag. Any plastic bags (disposable shopping bags, garbage bags etc.) will be left behind.
- Street/Sidewalk Opening (Requires a Permit)
- Any work done in the street and any replacing of utilities under the sidewalk require a permit. Permit applications can be obtained in the Administrative Office.
- Handicap Signage
- Signs can be placed in front of the homes of residents who have obtained handicap placards issued by PennDOT. Residents who would like to request a sign are asked to present their handicap placard, wallet card, and valid driver's license.
- If a handicap space exists in front of your property that is no longer needed, please let the borough know and it will be removed.
- Sign Repairs and Replacements
- Public works repairs and replaces various street signs throughout the year.
- Reporting Streetlight Outages to Duquesne Light
- To report a streetlight outage the best option is to contact Duquesne Light directly at 412-393-7100. When you call you will need the pole number and the address of the nearest house.