Garbage Pickup is performed through the services of Swissvale Department of Public Works.
Holiday Pickup Schedule
Garbage and Recycling operate on a delayed schedule when holidays fall during the week. Collection will occur one day after the regularly scheduled pick up.
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- July 4th (Independence Day)
- Labor Day
- Day After Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
Example (Memorial Day on a Monday)
- Monday Collection: Tuesday
- Tuesday Collection: Wednesday
- Wednesday Collection: Thursday
- Thursday Collection: Friday
- Friday Collection: Saturday (garbage only, recycling is still collected on Friday)
Guidelines for Garbage Collection
Residents frequently ask what they can and cannot throw away in the Borough of Swissvale. The Swissvale Department of Public Works offers the following general guidelines:
- All garbage must be placed in approved containers or rodent proof bags. Loose trash will not be collected under any circumstances including loose trash in cans.
- All bags must be tightly sealed.
- Bags that are damaged by rodents prior to collection will not be collected unless the resident picks up the waste and places it in another bag. (Please note that the conditions listed above are required in the Solid-Waste ordinance, we are just moving to more strict enforcement to protect our employees)
- Carpet that has been cut down to 4 feet in length and bundled
- Furniture (couches, mattresses, chairs, dressers, tables, etc.)
White Goods(washers, dryers, stoves, dish washers, microwaves and hot water heaters)
- Building Materials of any type or amount (flooring, tiles, wood, bricks, drywall, plaster, cabinets, bathroom fixtures, etc.)
- E-Waste (computers, TVs, and other electronics)
- Fluorescent Light Bulbs
- Freon Containing Appliances (Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, freezers, etc.)
- Household Hazardous Waste (Paint and paint products, drain cleaner, oven cleaner, motor oil, ammonia, gasoline, antifreeze, paint thinner, rat poison, weed killer, pesticides, solvents, household cleaners, pool chemicals, photo chemicals, etc.)
- Scrap Metal
- Donate useable building materials such as lumber, kitchen cabinets, and windows to Construction Junction, western PA's first non-profit retail store for used and surplus building materials. Visit the Construction Junction website for more information.