Schools & Education
Woodland Hills School District
Woodland Hills School District serves over 3,800 students in
kindergarten through 12th grade from 12 municipalities in eastern
Allegheny County. WHSD believes its strength resides in the
diversity of those communities. Students are the district’s first
priority. Each student receives an excellent educational
experience that is driven by the highest expectations and prepares students for meaningful participation in all facets of society.
- Award-winning high school: US News & World Report Bronze Winner (2014, 2015 & 2016).
- Award-winning musicals, band, art shows. Woodland Hills High School musicals have received the prestigious Gene Kelly Award 97 times (including eight for Best Musical) and was nominated an amazing 188 times.
- Robust athletic program with premier facilities. The football team has been ranked nationally, and its stadium — the Wolverina — has been named one of the top 10 places to watch a high school football game in the United States by both USA Today and ESPN.com.
Located in scenic Edgewood Borough, Edgewood Primary School serves students from Swissvale, Edgewood, Forest Hills, Braddock Hills and Rankin in kindergarten through 3rd grade. Its convenient location makes it a favorite school among Swissvale families. A full-day Pre-K program is also available .
The Academy was opened in 2009 as a Woodland Hills magnet school. Academy faculty utilize new, research-based teaching methods and curriculum. Students enter a lottery in order to attend the state-of-the-art school, which was completely renovated in 2015. Approximately 500 students and 50 teachers inhabit the school, which includes grades K-8.
The Woodland Hills Intermediate school houses students in 4th-6th grades from the entire district. This limited population allows for greater focus on student development. Classes emphasize STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) and students have the benefit of "Maker Spaces" where they can experience hands-on learning.
Charters, Private and Parochial Schools
Families in Swissvale can also take advantage of many school choices in the immediate vicinity. Some of the educational options include:
- Environmental Charter School
- Propel Schools (various campuses)
- Shady Side Academy
- Winchester Thurston School
- Central Catholic
- East Catholic School
- Oakland Catholic
- Pittsburgh Urban Christian School (PUCS)
- Trinity Christian School
School Bus Safety Reminder
School buses are everywhere. Remember to reduce your speed to 15 mph in school zones during arrival and dismissal times.
If a school bus has its lights flashing and stop arm extended, you must stop. The only exception is if you are on the opposite side of a highway divided by a concrete barrier or grassy median.
If you are following or traveling alongside a school bus, the law also requires you to stop at least 10 feet away. Learn more about the school bus stopping law and penalties for violations at www.DriveSafePA.org.
What are you looking for?